The History of Deer Island

NEW RUINS

At some date prior to 1949, Samuel Miller’s son, George Douglas Miller, gave a building on the island to the Yale University’s Skull and Bones Society. This building was known as “The Outlook” and was built largely of stone with a wooden upper structure. It was reported to contain fifteen rooms and housed a valuable collection of antiques and books. The building and it’s contents were destroyed by fire in 1949.

The Skull and Bones Society currently appears to own the entire island however, of the original larger cottages on the island, only one clearly remains. There are at least three obvious ruins on the island. The NewRuins Deer Island Project seeks to determine the history of these ruins and the factors that led to their demise.

Advertisements