Updates from March, 2009 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • wingover 8:39 am on March 17, 2009 Permalink | Reply  

    Russia orders large-scale rearmament 

    Russia orders large-scale rearmament – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).

    Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said Moscow will begin a comprehensive military rearmament from 2011.

    He has called for a renewal of Russia’s nuclear weapons arsenal and added that NATO was pursuing military expansion near Russia’s borders.

    Mr Medvedev says the rearmament will increase the combat readiness of Russian forces, with the strategic nuclear forces getting priority.

    “From 2011 a large-scale rearmament of the army and navy will begin,” he was quoted by news agencies as saying at a meeting of military chiefs in Moscow.

     
  • wingover 8:27 am on March 13, 2009 Permalink | Reply  

    Video: Walmart – High Cost of Low Prices 

    Walmart – High Cost of Low Prices.

     
  • wingover 9:50 pm on March 8, 2009 Permalink | Reply  

    De facto martial law in force in Tibet, army ready for violent crackdown 

    TIBET – CHINA De facto martial law in force in Tibet, army ready for violent crackdown – Asia News.

    Pro-Tibet activist tells AsiaNews about massive deployment of troops in Tibet, on the ready to crackdown on any protest, even if only verbal. But Tibetans are showing no sign of fear. The danger of a catastrophe is great if the world community does not intervene.

    Dharamsala (AsiaNews) – “China’s provocative troop deployments and surrounding of Tibetan monasteries has ensured that the stakes could not be higher in Tibet on the eve of next week’s 50th anniversary of the Tibetan uprising and flight of the Dalai Lama into exile,” Stephanie Bridgen, director of Free Tibet, told AsiaNews. For her the danger of unrest in Tibet is due to China’s crackdown. “Chinese paramilitaries have already shown they are prepared to fire with impunity at Tibetan protesters.”

    On 27 February police shot at a monk, Tapey, from Kirti Monastery in Aba County (Sichuan) who had set himself on fire in protest against the ban to celebrate religious holidays.

    Only yesterday Xinhua confirmed his identity, reporting that he was “out of danger” and that has been moved to a hospital in Chengdu. But Chinese authorities still denied claims that he had been shot.

    Since the incident no one who knows him has been able to see him.

    For over a month China has deployed tens of thousands of troops in Tibet and Tibetan areas of Sichuan, Qinghai and Gansu, arresting and beating people to stop any form of protest, even if only verbal.

    Martial law is de facto in place in these areas which are off-limits to foreigners.

    Foreign journalists who travelled there covertly have reported a massive and threatening military presence on the streets of the Tibetan capital before being stopped and expelled.

    Civil war seems to be imminent. Army convoys rumble along highways and paramilitary officers search civilian cars.

    Fortified positions are surrounded by sandbags. Lhasa is under a curfew.

    China’s crackdown has been relentless since bloody riots broke out in March 2008; altogether 220 Tibetans have been killed, nearly 1,300 have been wounded and nearly 7,000 have been detained or imprisoned, according to the Tibetan government in exile

    “With Tibetans showing their determination to protest in the face of China’s clampdown, the conditions are clearly in place for a potential catastrophe,” Bridgen said.

    In fact recent weeks saw an upsurge in non-violent protests, especially by Tibetan monks, many of whom have been arrested.

    Radio Free Asia has reported that yesterday two Tibetan women—a nun named Pema Yangdzom and later a girl—staged separate protests in front of the Public Security Bureau in Kardze.

    “World leaders must break their silence on Tibet and respond to the recent call by the Tibetan government in exile for urgent intervention if we are to avoid a repeat of last year’s bloody crackdown on Tibetan protesters,” said Bridgen.

     
  • wingover 10:39 am on March 6, 2009 Permalink | Reply  

    India successfully test fires indigenous interceptor missile 

    India successfully test fires indigenous interceptor missile_English_Xinhua.

    NEW DELHI, March 6 (Xinhua) — India Friday again showed its military muscle by successfully testing fired an indigenous ballistic missile shield in the eastern state of Orissa, said a senior defense ministry official.

    The interceptor missile was fired from the Wheeler Island off the Orissa coast and destroyed the “enemy” missile at an altitude of 80 km, said the official.

    This is the second time for India to conduct missile tests within days, after the country test fired successfully an Indo-Russian jointly made Brahmos supersonic missile in the western Rajasthan desert Wednesday.

     
  • wingover 9:46 am on March 4, 2009 Permalink | Reply  

    Navy plan to increase warfare training off Oregon coast draws objections 

    Navy plan to increase warfare training off Oregon coast draws objections – OregonLive.com.

    You may not realize it, but the Navy has been conducting warfare training exercises off the coast of Oregon, Washington and Northern California for decades, firing missiles and machine guns, dropping bombs and practicing crucial sonar detection of submarines.

    Now, the Navy’s Northwest region wants to expand those operations, including adding a dummy minefield-avoidance training course, scheduling hundreds more training flights and warfare simulations over land and sea, and increasing the use of sonar — a potential threat to endangered and threatened whales and other marine mammals.

    Environmental groups, fishermen and some politicians along Oregon’s coast are wary. They also say the military sprang the 1,000-page environmental review of its training plan with little notice.

    The Navy held one Oregon meeting on the draft proposal last week, and comments are due Wednesday. But activists want a 30-day extension.

    “For the whole state of Oregon, there was one 90-minute hearing,” said Marie Gargano, a Depoe Bay retiree active in environmental issues. “It just looks like a pro-forma effort to meet the requirements of the law.”

    Sheila Murray, environmental public affairs officer for the Navy’s Northwest region, said the Navy put notices in two small, coastal Oregon papers and notified numerous politicians and state regulators.

    “We do want public comment,” Murray said. “That’s how we’re able to have this work. We’re not out to hide anything.”

    The Navy’s environmental review, prompted by pressure from environmental groups, is its most detailed public examination of Northwest training exercises since they began more than 100 years ago. The draft environmental impact statement, released Dec. 29, concludes that expanded training won’t harm marine life or the public.

    The Northwest fleet — including two aircraft carriers, 10 warships, 14 submarines, 90 support vessels and 119 aircraft — comes from five installations in Washington state.

    Expanding training is crucial, the Navy says, particularly practicing submarine detection and electronic jamming of enemy signals on the fly.

    The service also plans to increase more-traditional training. For example, missiles fired would jump from 10 to 57 a year, the review says, and the number of gun shells fired from ships would more than double, topping 50,000 annually.

    That may sound like a lot, but the Navy review says it’s minimal given the vast expanse of ocean the training occurs in and the ocean-disturbing activities already going on, from fishing to shipping to polluted water runoff from land.

    Most of the flights will take place at high altitude or far from shore, Murray said, and the munitions firing will almost always be in remote areas. “Basically, what people see and hear now is what they’re going to continue to see and hear,” she said.

    But Zak Smith, a Natural Resources Defense Council attorney, is skeptical of the military’s claims. Once the Navy wins approval of its training plan from environmental regulators, it won’t have to air the plan again, barring significant changes, he said.

    “This is a one-time opportunity for people to let the Navy know what they think,” Smith said.

    The biggest environmental concern is the Navy’s use of midfrequency active sonar, which would increase under the plan.

    Environmental groups are suing over such sonar use, arguing that it damages whales and other marine mammals that use sound to communicate and navigate.

    The training area includes waters used by nine marine mammal species listed as threatened or endangered, including seven whales. Of particular concern are Puget Sound’s southern resident killer whales, whose population has dwindled to about 70.

    In its review, the Navy said sonar exposure contributed to five “mass stranding events” worldwide since 1996, with whales showing up dead in numbers on the beach.

    The review says the increased training would boost potentially harmful mammal sonar exposures from about 110,000 a year to nearly 130,000. But it predicts little damage, in part because the Navy limits sonar use when mammals are spotted near ships and submarines.

    Sonar is crucial for submarine detection, the report said. Forty nations operate modern submarines, it said, including Iran and North Korea.

    But Bruce Mate, director of the Marine Mammal Institute at Oregon State University, says there’s not enough information on the location and timing of sonar use to assess the risk.

    The Navy rejected the idea of seasonal shutdowns or avoiding key habitat areas.

    For fishermen, the concerns are more economic, said David Jincks of Newport, president of the Midwater Trawlers Cooperative.

    They range from munitions debris tearing up nets to longer closures of the large swaths of ocean.

    “I’d just like the Navy to come back and answer some questions,” Jincks said.

     
  • wingover 9:39 am on March 4, 2009 Permalink | Reply  

    CNN: Obama calls for a New World Order! 

    VIDEO – The New World Order on CNN Lou Dobbs Tonight.

     
    • renz 5:14 am on March 9, 2009 Permalink | Reply

      NWO is part of satan’s plan to bring people away from faith to jesus.

  • wingover 1:57 pm on February 27, 2009 Permalink | Reply  

    War-displaced Amisi Mopenda, 3, who is so severely malnourished 

    CHILD

    War-displaced Amisi Mopenda, 3, who is so severely malnourished that he has lost motor skills and the ability to communicate, lies on a bed at the International Medical Corps theraputic feeding center at Virunga hospital in Goma, eastern Congo, February 27, 2009. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is due to visit Goma at the weekend during a two-day visit to the war-ravaged region, where the world’s biggest U.N. peacekeeping force faces criticism that it is failing to give adequate protection to hundreds of thousands of civilians displaced by months of violence and insecurity. REUTERS/Finbarr O’Reilly (DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO)

    I hope the UN Secretary remembers to bring lots of food. Can’t trust charities as they are corrupt as everyone else?

     
    • P Jones 10:04 pm on February 27, 2009 Permalink | Reply

      I use to give money and cans of food for Americans and over seas, but now days I don’t trust anyone with my hard earn money. And that is a shame, I feel so bad. I have been blessed to have plenty and always want to give to others, which I use to. Now days as you stated, most charities are dishonest. I give up on trying to do the right thing. God bless their souls, the innocent. And Damn the souls of those who are greedy!

    • JT 1:07 pm on February 28, 2009 Permalink | Reply

      International Medical Corps is doing great work in DRC.

  • wingover 12:39 pm on February 27, 2009 Permalink | Reply  

    United Nations Exposed 

    CNN VIDEO.

     
  • wingover 11:56 am on February 24, 2009 Permalink | Reply  

    Murray can outline new world order 

    Murray can outline new world order – Tennis, Sport – The Independent.

     
  • wingover 12:49 pm on February 22, 2009 Permalink | Reply  

    Foreign troops(Rwandan and unnamed peacekeepers) in sovereign Congo 

    Rwandan Troops Start Preparations To Leave Congo – World News: The Post Chronicle.

    Rwandan troops winding up an operation against Rwandan Hutu rebels in eastern Congo began preparations on Saturday for a withdrawal next week, while peacekeepers worked out how to protect areas they will leave.

    Congolese President Joseph Kabila, who is facing vocal criticism from political opponents in Kinshasa for inviting in former enemies Rwanda and Uganda to hunt rebels in eastern Congo, has said foreign troops would leave by February 28.

    Rwanda Defense Forces (RDF) troops have been tracking down members of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), which includes Hutus who took part in Rwanda’s genocide, which killed an estimated 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus.

     
c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
Reply
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments
t
Go to top
l
Go to login
h
Show/Hide help
shift + esc
Cancel